Thursday, April 3, 2008

Subway

I finally came to my senses and googled the nearest Subway. It's the one "restaurant" I truly miss they are scattered all over Torrance. So I found one and it's only 2 blocks past my favorite Safeway (aka Vons for you people). It's clearly run by an older married couple. They worked at a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w pace and they have their own set of rules. First off, they don't carry soup. NO SOUP. Secondly, I happen to be a Subway regular and I know the exact number of meats, cheeses & tomatoes they're supposed to put on any given size. Sad, but true. I pile on as many veggies as I can to really get bang for my buck, as they say, and when it comes to the black olives I always use my standard, "And a BIG handful of black olives, please." Sometimes I get the occasional nincomepoop who misses the "big handful" and just tosses 15 or so olives on. This stopped deterring me long ago and I always request more.

This Subway was different, however, in ways unimaginable. When I asked for the large helping of olives the woman said, "We only put six on a footlong." To which I shreiked, "SIX?!?!" She turned and pointed to the sign that said extra veggies costs 30 cents more. As though I didn't read the sign, I again said "SIX?!" So she said, "Ok, ok I give you few extra," she turned to her husband giving him a look that said I know I broke the rules but this woman is a nut! and proceeded to wrap up my sandwich and rush me out of the store. It wasn't a pretty site and I had no choice but to settle on my 10 olives. I savored each and every morsel.

I returned to the same shop yesterday for lunch and she smiled and laughed when she saw me and I took this as recognition. Who knows. This time when I asked for olives she didnt count out six (you can actually see her mouthing the count with the tomatoes & pickles) she was all loosey goosey about the rules and threw on at least 11. I will slowly wear her down until she willingly piles on "a BIG handful of black olives," just you wait and see...

1 comment:

jen said...

i hope you know that she probably took a beating for that at home....live with that. and all for your NASTY olives. puke!