Friday, April 4, 2008

High Crime

I'm flying home to LA tomorrow and I couldn't get out of here soon enough.

Last Friday there was a fatal shooting at the other end of my block on Irving between 19th & 20th Avenue. The papers are saying that it's gang related. Apparently a group from work were celebrating a high sales month and someone outside of the party tried to get in on free food. The shooter obviously takes his food VERY seriously because he shot and killed two people.

Thursday a.m. I woke to a woman screaming at the top of her lungs at 4:45 am. I wasn't sure if I'd dreamt it so I waited a few moments for another. Sure enough she screamed another blood-curdling scream. I have no doubt that she was screaming for her life. I jumped up out of my bed, panicked that I'd forgotten to dead bolt the door. I checked the alarm, the windows, the kitchen door...all were locked. I didn't see or hear anyone outside for another 30 minutes. My roommate was staying at her boyfriend's house and I didn't know who to call. Being SO close to the park I couldnt tell if the screams were coming from that direction or a nearby apartment.

I called my downstairs neighbor at about 10 am and she said her roommate heard the same screams & that I wasn't hearing things. I decided to call the local police and ask if anyone else had reported it. The guy gave me the same reaction everyone else had...why didn't I call in the minute I heard the screams? That same thought has been weighing heavily on my mind ever since. I still have no idea what direction the screams came from and I felt like I wouldn't have any information to offer the police. I never got a call back from the police dept and haven't seen any blurbs in the local news.

It's a chilling thought to think that had I called in right away I could've possibly saved this woman's life. I just hope that someone else called in right away or she scared the person off.

I don't know how to wrap this one up...I can't quite shake it.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Sounds scary. I hope the woman is okay!

Don't worry, though, because last night Matt and I were watching this scary movie called Them, and I screamed quite loudly several times while watching. I'm sure our neighbors were wondering what the heck was going on.

Hopefully there is a non-violent explanation. Maybe she was in a fight or just having a night terror. One of my friends here wakes up screaming at the top of her lungs sometimes, and she doesn't know why. I'm glad I'm not her husband!

Well, hopefully you can relax in L.A. I'm sorry we missed each other!