Friday, May 8, 2009

Silverfish

So I've had a flurry of silverfish in my apartment. Apparently this is common, because when I mentioned this to Denise who lives about 3 blocks away, she said she's always had a silverfish problem. And she keeps things pretty tidy so if she can have them...it kinda helped me not feel so grungy.

I usually catch them crawling around my bedroom, rather sprightly I might add, across my cottage cheese ceiling, which is best - easier to spot then when they're on the carpet. Gross.

Last week I saw one stuck in my ceiling light and he was a skinny little thing, probably a silverfish toddler of sorts. The following day I saw a larger fellow in there with him & the two were circling around that thing like they were in a relay race. The larger one kept trying to climb to the top of the light to escape but he'd slide back down every time. The little one really had no idea what he was doing or how he got there in the first place. Needless to say I saw toddler's skeleton through the light fixture the following day (kind of resembled a fish skeleton if you're curious - hence the name, I'm sure). The large one didn't seem too upset, but more frustrated because he still couldn't climb to the top to escape without ultimately sliding down.

I felt safe with the two of them stuck in there, but also guilty because I had the answer to their problem. I just couldn't bring myself to unscrew the light and risk them falling out onto me, getting lost in my hair.

I haven't seen either in over a week. I like to think they died a peaceful death and are resting in their grave, which is the base of the light fixture. I find myself dreading the fact that those bulbs will one day burn out & I'll find 50 dead silverfish in there.

On a happier note, I've seen a large decrease in overall silverfish activity. Perhaps those two were scouting out the the location for their clan and seeing as they didn't make it out alive the others abandoned ship. It helps me sleep at night, knowing they aren't crawling overhead...

No comments: