Friday, May 8, 2009

Atheist

So I was driving home from work yesterday and stopped at a red light (go me!) behind a country blue Volvo with what appeared to be a handmade ATHEIST sign in the back window. It was black & white and scotch-taped to the inside rear window. On the right hand side there was a smaller yin & yang sticker. Interesting combo, no?

I had a giggle because I realized he was trying to make a point opposite the religious folk that flaunt their beliefs freely, like he was trying to stick it to 'em, but couldn't find any ready made stickers of his liking so he fashioned one out of printer ink and paper.

I desperately wanted to see what this guy looked like. I caught part of his face in the side mirror and an eyebrow in the rear view and maybe a ponytail? Hard to tell.

Now I don't know if he caught me squirming to get a glimpse but I noticed his right hand on the back of the passenger seat with all fingers bent in making almost a loose fist EXCEPT for his middle finger which was fully extended. Is he flipping me off? No. Is he? Would he? Could someone casually rest their hand while accidentally flipping someone off? I attempted on my thigh, concluding that doesn't just accidentally happen. I was instantly offended, wondering what look I had that made him think I was then enemy.

I decided to test it out, see what if feels like. I stared into the distance doing the whole deep-in-thought-while-running-my-hand-along-my-chin maneuver and casually extended my middle finger just ever so slightly in front of the others. My own little revenge just in case he was actually flipping me off.

When I checked back, he'd bent his middle finger under like the rest of his hand. Was victory mine? Did he catch his mistake when seeing me accidentally flipping him off? Or are we both nuts?


Don't answer.

No comments: