Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm Back...Again

There are many things that people don't tell you about when moving to a big city. For one, the how to's of public transportation. I had a 6:30 am flight to LA last wednesday and because I had to leave the house by 4:30, I couldnt bring myself to ask my roommate to take me to SFO. So, of course, I opted for the bus/BART route. Everyone thought this was such a great idea, and yet no one mentioned to me that buses are very limited before 7 am. But, my roommate came through and found a bus for me.

Now, as one who's only ridden the bus once, it didnt cross my mind that despite having the same route number, there are actually two directions and two very different buses. So after riding along all quiet-like I decided to ask the driver (who did not wait for me to put my money in the machine before taking off like it was Mr Toad's Wild Ride, causing me to stumble and nearly tumble over my suitcase) when we'd be getting to SF State. He kind of laughed and then the pity set in. I was going the wrong direction.

He said since I'd already gone so far off track, that I should just stay on until Market & 4th...aka a VERY shady BART station. Very. So it's now 5:15 in the morning, still dark outside, and I'm all alone except for the bums walking the streets. No BART attendents in sight and I'm left to navigate myself to SFO. After riding the piss-laden elevator three times all to the wrong floors, I finally found my stop. I must've looked frazzled because a homeless man whose face was cut up and had one arm tucked inside his sweatshirt walked towards me and said "It's going to be alright."

I made it onto my flight with 4 mins to spare before they pulled away from the terminal. Even my bag made it to LA despite the many warnings that it wouldnt because of "late check-in." I was up at 3 am and still managed to run late. You see? It's not intentional, its just in my nature.

2 comments:

jen said...

I've never met another soul in my life who can manage to be late like you...it's just part of you who you are. although, i would have NO idea what to do on the buses and it doesn't seem right to me that the buses would have the same number if they go two differet directions... that's unfair.

Unknown said...

That's the only problems about growing up in LA.... it makes us all RETARDS when it comes to public transpotation! You should have seen me in the Japan subways!