Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hi Jay, It's Grandma

I got a call Sunday from an 805 # so I let it go to message (when you're popular you have to screen your calls). The message went something like this:

"Hi Jay, it's Grandma I haven't heard from you in what feels like years. I got your number from mumble-mumble in China ...inaudible...just wanted to call and say I love you."

The woman had this cartoony Grandma voice - everything you'd expect it to be. I can see her wrapped up in her afghan and slippers with her address book on her lap making her Sunday phone calls. I felt so bad for this woman...perhaps it's been years since she's heard from Jay because so & so in China gave her the wrong number!!

So I decided to call her back to let her know the message didn't reach Jay. Easy enough, right?

Hi. I just received a call from you and I wanted to let you know you don't have the right number.

"Oh...let's see now. I called 3-1-0-5-6-7-3-1-7-5."

Right. That's my cell phone. I've had this number for about 4 or 5 years now.

"I'm trying to reach Jay. Do you know him?"

No I'm sorry I don't.

"He just moved to Cerritos. Does that help?"

No...I'm not familiar with that area.

"Ok well I live in Oxnard. Does that help?"

No. I'm sorry. (awkward laugh-awkward laugh-awkward laugh)

"Well Emily gave me this number - she's in China you know."

Right. Well...I'm assuming there was a typo in her email...I'm not really sure. I just wanted to call and let you know that Jay didn't get your message.

"Well I don't mean to put all this on you."


At this point she got upset as though I had information and was not divulging. I continued to apologize in a wish-I-could-help-you sort of way, but I could tell she was still unclear with the entire situation. It was everything I could do at that point to get off the phone with Grandma.
Why on earth is Emily messing with Grandma all the way from China? I mean really!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my..in my office LOLING..this story sounds made up. I love it.

Anonymous said...

this is hilarious! i wish i could have heard that convo live! poor granny!